The Old Barracks is a protected structure, constructed c. 1875, which was extensively remodelled in 1990s and has operated as a heritage centre until the present day. The scope of the works involved the upgrade of internal exhibition spaces and the refurbishment of the building fabric where necessary. It was intended that the works improve the use and functionality of the protected structure, which was critical in the maintenance of its cultural and heritage value.
Aside from the upgrade of internal finishes and fittings, the entrance layout of the ground floor was altered, to improve accessibility and simplify the flow of visitors throughout the building. Externally, the elevations exposed to the prevailing weather systems were re-rendered and existing sash windows were replaced.
The building was funded under the Rural Development Programme (2007-2013) with part funding from the community group. It was necessary to value engineer the project to ensure the client’s brief was met, whilst maintaining the character of the building.
Related Projects – Bryce Cottage, Killarney House and Gardens